Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Confined in a pen, imprisoned.
- My object all sublime
- I shall achieve in time —
- To let the punishment fit the crime —
- The punishment fit the crime;
- And make each prisoner pent
- Unwillingly represent
- A source of innocent merriment!
- Of innocent merriment! — W.S. Gilbert, The Mikado.
While probably archaic, Gilbert's use (in the quote given above) has kept the word current.
- simple past tense and past participle of ; archaic form of penned.
- third-person singular present indicative of pendre