Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Confined in a pen, imprisoned.
- My object all sublime
- I shall achieve in time —
- To let the punishment fit the crime —
- The punishment fit the crime;
- And make each prisoner pent
- Unwillingly represent
- A source of innocent merriment!
- Of innocent merriment! — W.S. Gilbert, The Mikado.
Use of bare "pent", as in the Gilbert quotation above, has become less common over time. (Use of "pent up" or "pent in" remains about as common.)
Confined in a pen, imprisoned
- simple past tense and past participle of ; Alternative form of