Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- From Latin petra (“stone, rock”), from Ancient Greek πέτρα (pétra, “stone, rock”).
- Clipping of petroleum.
- of or pertaining to stone
- of or pertaining to petroleum-based products
- (neologism) Pertaining to, or funded by, oil export
- (of stone):
- (of petroleum-based products):
- (of, or funded by, oil export):
- When used as a combining form for petroleum, its etymological meaning is misleading. Better would be to use oleo- (for products associated with oil)
- petro- (all senses)