Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
pickup (plural pickups)
- An electronic device for detecting sound, vibration, etc., such as one fitted to an electric guitar or record player.
- (US, Canada) A pickup truck.
- (usually attributive) Impromptu or ad hoc, especially of sports games.
- Rather than join a basketball league, James decided to play pick up.
- At lunch we had a game of pickup hockey.
- 2010, Mary Ellen Snodgrass, Peter Carey: A Literary Companion (page 100)
- Trevor, like an Aussie outbacker, eats snacks and a pickup meal of bread, cantaloupe, olives, mangoes, and melon.
- An instance of approaching someone and engaging in romantic flirtation and courting with the intent to pursue romance, a date, or a sexual encounter. See also pick-up line, pick-up joint, pickup artist.
- Hey, thanks for the drink, but if this is a pickup, I'm not interested.
- (sports) In various games, the fielding or hitting of a ball just after it strikes the ground.
- (video games) An item that can be picked up by the player, conferring some benefit or effect; a power-up.
- (US, Canada) The act of a challenging party or candidate winning an electoral district held by an incumbent party or candidate. See also gain
- The returns from the election show Apple Party candidate Jane Doe has made a pickup in the district of City West defeating Orange Party Incumbent Joe Smith
- The act of answering a telephone.
- (film) A relatively minor shot filmed or recorded after the fact to augment previous footage.
- The act of collecting and taking away something or someone, usually in a vehicle. The time the act occurs.
electronic device for detecting sound
pickup truck — see pickup truck
impromptu or ad hoc, especially of sports games
item collected in a video game
at of winning an electoral district held by an incumbent
- Mandarin: 皮卡 (píkǎ)
- Finnish: pick-up
- French: pick-up m, pickup m
- German: Pickup m
- Indonesian: pikap
- Japanese: ピックアップ (pikkuappu)
- Khmer: ភីកអាប់ (pʰiik’ap), ពីកឺប (piikəɨp)
- Portuguese: picape f
- Russian: пикап m (pikáp)
- Spanish: pickup f (Latin America), picop m (Guatemala)
- Thai: ปิคอัพ (bpìk-àp)
pickup f (plural pickups)
- Alternative form of