Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To pretend to be a different person while playing a game.
- So we played at being pirates for a while.
- To give the impression that one is not working in a professional manner.
- In my opinion, John only plays at being an author. He hasn't sold more than two magazine articles in as many months.
- Also found in the rhetorical expression What are you / is he / are they playing at? and variations, which suggest that someone is doing something very wrong, or incorrectly, usually with the possibility of causing damage, or harm if they do not cease immediately.