Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA: /pɒliːɡlɒt/
- Versed in, or speaking, many languages.
- Containing, or made up of, several languages.
- a polyglot lexicon; a polyglot Bible
- Comprising various linguistic groups
- A polyglot region without a clearly dominant culture may develop an artificial lingua franca, such as Pidgin English in the South Sea
Versed in, or speaking, many languages
Containing, or made up of, several languages
Comprising various linguistic groups
polyglot (plural polyglots)
- One who masters, notably speaks, several languages.
- A polyglot, or good linguist - Howell
- A publication containing several versions of the same text, or the same subject matter in several languages; especially, the Bible in several languages.
- Enriched by the publication of polyglots - Abp. Newcome
- A mixture of langages and/or nomenclatures
- (programming) A program written in multiple programming languages.
one who masters, notably speaks, several languages
publication containing several versions of the same
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (person): A polyglot