Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from porte-cochère)
- An open-walled roof over a driveway next to the entrance of a building, to shield embarking and disembarking vehicle passengers from the weather.
- 1939, Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep, Penguin 2011, p. 42:
- I stopped the Packard under the porte-cochère and emptied my pockets out on the seat.
- 2014, Stephen Fry, More Fool Me, Michael Joseph 2014, p. 223:
- The front desk had already made a great fuss of Johnny and Mary, lining up to greet him at the famous porte-cochère as soon as his splendid old Rolls-Royce had arrived [...].