Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- prætentious (rare, pedantic or humorous)
Note that pretentious is spelled with a ‘t’ (-tious), unlike related pretense, pretension. This is due to the French spelling: *-sious does not occur as an English suffix, though -sion and -tion both do.
- Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.
- Their song titles are pretentious in the context of their basic lyrics.
- Ostentatious; intended to impress others.
- Her dress was obviously more pretentious than comfortable.
Derived terms 
Related terms 
marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction
intended to impress others
- ^ The Concise Oxford English Dictionary [Eleventh Edition]