Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Short for pro-anorexia.
pro-ana (plural pro-anas)
- A movement that promotes anorexia nervosa as an acceptable lifestyle choice.
2006 December 5, Christine Dunford as Shelley Ford, “The Nutcrackers”, Boston Legal season 3 episode 10:
- Pro-ana is not a disease, Mr. Crane, it's a lifestyle choice.
- A member of this movement.
2004 October 27, Eda R. Uca, Ana's Girls: The Essential Guide to the Underground Eating Disorder Community Online, AuthorHouse, ISBN 9781418437954, OL 8467390M, page 69:
- Beyond celebrating the aesthetic value of thinness, pro-anas claim that thinness is a reflection of excellence in other areas of one's life.
2009, Avis Rumney, Dying to Please: Anorexia, Treatment and Recovery, edition 2nd, Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, ISBN 9780786453917, OL 23186553M, page 25-26:
- But juxtaposed to a caveat about the life-threatening nature of anorexia is often an avowal of the pro-ana's goal: to help anorexics in their quest for the "ideal" (emaciated) body.