Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Good at; skilled; fluent; practiced, especially in relation to a task or skill.
- He was a proficient writer with an interest in human nature.
- 1912: Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan of the Apes, Chapter 5
- By constant playing and experimenting with these he learned to tie rude knots, and make sliding nooses; and with these he and the younger apes amused themselves. What Tarzan did they tried to do also, but he alone originated and became proficient.
proficient (plural proficients)
- An expert.
- proficient in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- proficient in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911