Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also profilé
From French profil (“a profile”), from Italian profilo (“a border”), later also proffilo (“a side-face, profile”), from pro-, from Latin pro (“before”) + filo (“a line, stroke, thread”), from Latin filum (“a thread”); see file.
- (countable) the outermost shape, view, or edge of an object
- His fingers traced the profile of the handle.
- (countable) The shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from the side; a side view.
- The brooch showed the profile of a Victorian woman.
- (countable) A summary or collection of information, especially about a person
- Law enforcement assembled a profile of the suspect.
- (countable) a specific space or field in which users can provide various types of personal information in software or Internet systems
- I just updated my Facebook profile to show I got engaged.
- (uncountable) reputation
- (uncountable) the amount by which something protrudes
- Choose a handle with a low profile so it does not catch on things.
- (uncountable) prominence; noticeability
- Acting is, by nature, profession in which one must keep a high profile.
- (archaeology) A smoothed (e.g., troweled or brushed) vertical surface of an excavation showing evidence of at least one feature or diagnostic specimen; the graphic recording of such as by sketching, photographing, etc.
- character; totality of related characteristics; signature; status (especially in scientific, technical, or military uses)
- What's the thermal profile on that thing?
- (print mode or selection) portrait
the outermost shape, view, or edge of an object
the shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from the side
a summary or collection of information, especially about a person
the amount by which something protrudes
- to create a summary or collection of information, especially about a person
- to act based on such a summary; especially, to act on a stereotype. See profiling.
to act based on such a summary; especially, to act on a stereotype
- profile in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- profile in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- IPA: /pʁɔ.fil/