Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To cause to suffer for crime or misconduct, to administer disciplinary action.
- To cause great harm to. (a punishing blow)
- To dumb down severely or to the point of uselessness or near-uselessness.
- (to cause to suffer for crime or misconduct) castigate
to cause to suffer for crime or misconduct
to cause great harm to
to dumb down severely or to the point of uselessness or near-uselessness
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- punish in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- punish in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911