Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Canada) IPA: /ˈkʍɑndədi/, /ˈkʍɑnɾəɾi/; X-SAMPA: /"kWAnd@di/, /"kWAn4@4i/
Audio (CA) (file)
- (UK) IPA: /ˈkwɒn.tɪ.ti/, X-SAMPA: /kwQn.tI.ti/
Audio (UK) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
quantity (plural quantities)
- A fundamental, generic term used when referring to the measurement (count, amount) of a scalar, vector, number of items or to some other way of denominating the value of a collection or group of items.
- You have to choose between quantity and quality.
- An indefinite amount of something.
- Some soap making oils are best as base oils, used in a larger quantity in the soap, while other oils are best added in a small quantity.
- Olive oil can be used practically in any quantity.
- A specific measured amount.
- This bag would normally costs $497.50 for a quantity of 250, at a price of $1.99 per piece.
- Generally it should not be used in a quantity larger than 15 percent.
- A considerable measure or amount.
- The Boeing P-26A was the first all-metal monoplane fighter produced in quantity for the U.S. Army Air Corps.
- (metrology) Property of a phenomenon, body, or substance, where the property has a magnitude that can be expressed as number and a reference.
- (mathematics) Indicates that the entire preceding expression is henceforth considered a single object.
- x plus y quantity squared equals x squared plus 2xy plus y squared.
Usage notes 
- In mathematics, used to unambiguously orate mathematical equations; it is extremely rare in print, since there is no need for it there.
- 2006, Jerome E. Kaufmann and Karen Schwitters, Elementary and Intermediate Algebra: A Combined Approach, p 89
- For problems 58-67, translate each word phrase into an algebraic expression.
- 65. x plus 9, the quantity squared
- 2005, R. Mark Sirkin, Statistics For The Social Sciences, p137
- The second, , read "summation of x, quantity squared," tells us to first add up all the xs to get and then square to get .
- 1985, Serge Lang, Math!: Encounters with High School Students, p54
- ANN. quantity cubed.
- SERGE LANG. That's right, .
Related terms 
fundamental, generic term used when referring to the measurement
indefinite amount of something
specific measured amount
considerable measure or amount
word used to indicate that preceding expression is a single object
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked