- Present participle of quarter.
quartering (plural quarterings)
- The act of providing housing for military personnel, especially when imposed upon the home of a private citizen.
- The method of capital punishment where a criminal is cut into four pieces.
- (heraldry) The division of a shield containing different coats of arms into four or more compartments.
- (heraldry) One of the different coats of arms arranged upon an escutcheon, denoting the descent of the bearer.
- (architecture) A series of quarters, or small upright posts.
quartering (not comparable)
- (nautical) Coming from a point well abaft the beam, but not directly astern; said of waves or any moving object.
- (engineering) At right angles, as the cranks of a locomotive, which are in planes forming a right angle with each other.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.