Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (in combination) having a specified rank
- As the ranking officer, Sergeant Taylor took charge of the investigation.
- 2002, Stephen Tanner, Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the War against the Taliban, page 176
- Eldred Pottinger was now the ranking political officer and had negotiated — at the insistence of the army's officers—an unmolested passage to Jalalabad.
having a specified rank
ranking (plural rankings)
placement in a list
- Present participle of rank.
ranking m (plural rankings)