Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
recension (plural recensions)
- A critical revision of a text.
- A text established by critical revision.
- A family of manuscripts which share similar traits; the variety of a language which is used in such manuscripts.
- The existence of two major literary centres in the First Bulgarian Empire led to the emergence of two recensions of Old Church Slavonic: the Bulgarian Recension and the Macedonian Recension.
- The Russian recension of Old Church Slavonic emerged after the 10th century and was characterized by the substitution of /u/ for the nasal sound /õ/.
a critical revision of a text
a text established by critical revision
Declension of recension