Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
Alternative forms 
- recognize (US)
- (transitive) To match something or someone which one currently perceives to a memory of some previous encounter with the same entity.
- (transitive) To acknowledge the existence or legality of something.; treat as worthy of consideration or valid.
- The US and a number of EU countries are expected to recognise Kosovo on Monday.
- (transitive) To acknowledge or consider as something.
- (transitive) To realise or discover the nature of something; apprehend quality in; realise or admit that.
- (transitive) To give an award.
to match in memory; to know from a previous encounter
to acknowledge the existence or legality of something
to acknowledge as something
to realize or discover the nature of something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked