Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- From Latin refractum, the neutral inflection of refractus, the past participle of refringere, itself from re- 'again' + frangere 'to break'.
- (intransitive, of light) To change direction as a result of entering a different medium
- (transitive, optics) To cause (light) to change direction as a result of entering a different medium.
- A prism can refract light.
to change direction
to cause to change direction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.