Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Suitable or fit to be relied on; worthy of dependence or reliance; trustworthy
- A reliable witness to the truth of the miracles. -- Andrews Norton.
- The best means, and most reliable pledge, of a higher object. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
- According to General Livingston's humorous account, his own village of Elizabethtown was not much more reliable, being peopled in those agitated times by unknown, unrecommended strangers, guilty-looking Tories, and very knavish Whigs. --Washington Irving.
- (signal processing, of a communication protocol) Such that either a sent packet will reach its destination, even if it requires retransmission, or the sender will be told that it didn't
fit to be relied on
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
reliable (plural reliables)
someone to be relied on