Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
relief (plural reliefs)
- The removal of stress or discomfort.
- I sighed with relief when I found out that my daughter hadn't got lost, but was waiting for me at home.
- The feeling associated with the removal of stress or discomfort.
- The person who takes over a shift for another.
- Officer Schmidt can finally go home because his relief has arrived.
- Aid or assistance offered in time of need.
- (law) Court-ordered compensation, aid, or protection, a redress.
- Tax savings.
- A type of artwork in which shapes or figures protrude from a flat background.
- The difference made noticeable by a variation in light or color.
- The difference of elevations on a surface.
- The relief on that part of the earth's surface.
- (removal of stress and discomfort): ease, alleviation, respite
- (felling of removal of stress and discomfort): ease, alleviation
- (person who takes over a shift): stand-in, substitute, backup, fill-in
- (type of artwork): embossing
- (difference of elevations on a surface): texture, topography
Derived terms 
removal of stress or discomfort
person who takes over a shift
humanitarian aid or assistance
type of artwork
difference of elevations on a surface
relief m (plural reliefs)
- projection, relief
- (geography, mineralogy) relief, surface elevation
- (figuratively) contrast, definition, offset (against something else)
declension of relief
- relief (elevation's of earth's surface)