Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Latin renuntiare.
- Rhymes: -aʊns
renounce (plural renounces)
- (transitive) To give up, resign, surrender.
- (transitive) To cast off, repudiate.
- (transitive) To decline further association with someone or something, disown.
- (transitive) To abandon, forsake, discontinue (an action, habit, intention, etc), sometimes by open declaration.
- (intransitive) To make a renunciation of something.
- (intransitive) To surrender formally some right or trust.
- (intransitive)(cards) To fail to follow suit; playing a card of a different suit when having no card of the suit led.
decline association with
abandon, forsake an action
surrender a right or trust
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked