Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- simple past tense and past participle of repute
- Pertaining to a reputation accorded to another.
- 1904 The other young ladies of Sulaco stood in awe of her character and accomplishments. She was reputed to be terribly learned and serious. — Joseph Conrad, Nostramo Part 2, Chapter 1.
- Pertaining to that which is supposed or assumed to be true.
- 1859 Mr H. C. Watson has marked for me in the well-sifted London Catalogue of plants (4th edition) 63 plants which are therein ranked as species, but which he considers as so closely allied to other species as to be of doubtful value: these 63 reputed species range on an average over 6.9 of the provinces into which Mr Watson has divided Great Britain. — Charles Darwin, On the Origin of Species, Chapter 2.