Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪst
- (transitive) To attempt to counter the actions or effects of.
- (transitive) To withstand the actions of.
- (intransitive) To oppose.
Usage notes 
Derived terms 
Terms derived from resist (verb)
to withstand effects of something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Turkish: direnmek
resist (plural resists)
- ^ Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.