Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Not allowing or affording rest.
- The night before his wedding was a restless one.
- Without rest; unable to be still or quiet; uneasy; continually moving.
- He was a restless child.
- She sat, restless and nervous, and tried to concentrate.
- Not satisfied to be at rest or in peace; averse to repose; eager for change; discontented.
- A restless ambition.
- Deprived of rest or sleep.
- They remained restless, sitting by the window the entire night.
not allowing or affording rest
unable to be still or quiet
not satisfied to be at rest or peace
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- restless in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- restless in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913