Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Present participle of retell.
retelling (plural retellings)
- A second or subsequent telling.
- The new film is a needless retelling of what was already a cinematic classic.
- 2001, Kenneth L. Woodward, The Book of Miracles
- Like those of other saints, Mira Bai's life story lies within a number of retellings, each more detailed than the last, so that her biography now includes burnishings that probably would not pass any historian's test.
2012 May 31, Tasha Robinson, “Film: Review: Snow White And The Huntsman”:
- Huntsman feints at being the Snow White retelling no one has ever seen before, but ultimately becomes the “been there, done that” of fairy-tale filmmaking.