Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
riposte (plural ripostes)
- (fencing) a thrust given in return after parrying an attack.
- a quick and usually witty response to a taunt, a retort
- an answer or reply, rapidly uttered, in response to a question or problem
- This word needs a definition. Please help out and add a definition, then remove the text
2012 September 7, Dominic Fifield, “England start World Cup campaign with five-goal romp against Moldova”, The Guardian:
- Some context is required. Moldova were weak at the back and blunt up front, and have failed to score in six matches stretching back to last October, with only hints at English complacency offering them glimpses of summoning a riposte.
a quick and usually witty response to a taunt
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (fencing) to attempt to hit an opponent after parrying an attack.
- to respond quickly; particularly if the response is humorous.
riposte f (plural ripostes)
- riposte (fencing; witty response; quick reply)
- first-person singular present indicative of riposter
- third-person singular present indicative of riposter
- first-person singular present subjunctive of riposter
- third-person singular present subjunctive of riposter
- second-person singular imperative of riposter
- "riposte" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
riposte f pl
- feminine plural of