Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
French roulette, roulette, little wheel
- Rhymes: -ɛt
- (uncountable) A game of chance, in which a small ball is made to move round rapidly on a circle divided off into numbered red and black spaces, the one on which it stops indicating the result of a variety of wagers permitted by the game.
- (countable) A small toothed wheel used by engravers to roll over a plate in order to produce rows of dots.
- (countable) A similar wheel used to roughen the surface of a plate, as in making alterations in a mezzotint.
- (countable, geometry) The locus of a point on a plane curve that rolls without slipping along another fixed plane curve.
- (stamp-collecting) any of the small incisions on a sheet of stamps, used as an alternative to perforations.
- Wikipedia article on roulette, the game
- Wikipedia article on roulettes in geometry
roulette f (plural roulettes)
- small wheel
- caster, castor
- (geometry, archaic) cycloid
- roulette (game)
- roulette wheel
- (engraving) roulette
- patin à roulettes - roller skating
- (dentistry) dentist drill
- pastry roller
roulette f (invariable)
- roulette (game of chance)
- roulette russa - Russian roulette