Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
ruffle (plural ruffles)
- Any gathered or curled strip of fabric added as trim or decoration.
- She loved the dress with the lace ruffle at the hem.
- disturbance; agitation; commotion
- to put the mind in a ruffle
- (military) A low, vibrating beat of a drum, quieter than a roll; a ruff.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of H. L. Scott to this entry?)
- (zoology) The connected series of large egg capsules, or oothecae, of several species of American marine gastropods of the genus Fulgur.
strip of fabric
- (transitive) To make a ruffle in; to curl or flute, as an edge of fabric.
- Ruffle the end of the cuff.
- (transitive) To disturb; especially, to cause to flutter.
- The wind ruffled the papers.
- Her sudden volley of insults ruffled his composure.
to curl or flute