Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈsɔː.sə/
- Rhymes: -ɔːsə(r)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈsɔ(ː).səɹ/, /ˈsɒ(ː).sər
- (cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈsɑ(ː).səɹ/
saucer (plural saucers)
- A small shallow dish to hold a cup and catch drips.
- An object round and gently curved (shaped like a saucer).
- The saucer-shaped object could have been a UFO.
- (obsolete) A small pan or vessel in which sauce was set on a table.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Francis Bacon to this entry?)
- A flat, shallow caisson for raising sunken ships.
- A shallow socket for the pivot of a capstan.
object shaped like a saucer