Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To remove the lid of a jar or other container by unscrewing it.
2004, Cathy Myata, Speaking rules!: Games and activities for creating effective speakers, presenters and storytellers, page 52:
- Hold it in two hands and screw off the lid. Set the lid down. Inside are pickled onions.
- (idiomatic, colloquial) To fail to do one's work; to goof off.
1878, Robert White Stevens, On the stowage of ships and their cargoes: with information regarding freights, charter parties, &c., &c., page 798:
- On account of the high rate of wages at Sydney, stevedores will not "screw off" now so willingly as they did formerly.
- (idiomatic, colloquial) To go away at someone's urging; to bugger off.