Sea lions (Otaria flavescens
From sea + lion.
sea lion (plural sea lions)
- A marine mammal of any of several genera in the family Otariidae.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 6, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- But Sophia's mother was not the woman to brook defiance. After a few moments' vain remonstrance her husband complied. His manner and appearance were suggestive of a satiated sea-lion.
member of the Otariidae family
- Italian: otaria f, leone marino m
- Japanese: アシカ (ja) (ashika), 海馬 (あしか, ashika), セイウチ (ja) (seiuchi)
- Korean: 바다사자 (badasaja)
- Lithuanian: jūrų liūtas m
- Malay: singa laut
- Maori: rāpoka, whakahao, kake (female), whakahao (male)
- Navajo: tábąąstííntsoh
- Norwegian: sjøløve m
- Portuguese: leão-marinho m
- Romanian: otarie (ro) f, leu-de-mare (ro) m
- Russian: морско́й лев (ru) m (morskój lev), сиву́ч (ru) m (sivúč)
- Serbo-Croatian: morski lav m, foka (sh) f
- Spanish: león marino m
- Swedish: sjölejon (sv) n