Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to people of the other sex or gender.
- The notion that either gender is superior is sexism.
- Different treatment or discrimination based on a difference of sex or gender.
- The fact that there is only one woman in a management position in that company makes it easy to believe that sexism runs rampant there.
- 2011 December 14, Angelique Chrisafis, “Rachida Dati accuses French PM of sexism and elitism”, Guardian:
- Dati launched a blistering attack on the prime minister, François Fillon, under whom she served as justice minister, accusing him of sexism, elitism, arrogance and hindering the political advancement of ethnic minorities.
- Disadvantage or unequal opportunity arising from the cultural dominance of one gender over the other.
- In order to succeed in fashion, men generally must acquire various feminine traits, which only points out the underlying sexism.
- Promotion or expectation or assumption of people to behave in accordance with or deviate from a gender role.
- Hollywood contributes to sexism in our society by making and promoting violent films for men and romantic comedies for women.
gender discrimination or dislike
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked