Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɪmi
shimmy (plural shimmies)
- An abnormal vibration, especially in the wheels of a vehicle.
- A dance that was popular in the 1920s.
- (rare) A sleeveless chemise.
An abnormal vibration, especially in the wheels of a vehicle
A sleeveless chemise
- To climb something (e.g. a pole) gradually (e.g. using alternately one's arms then one's legs.)
- He shimmied up the flagpole.
- The static made her dress shimmy up her leg.
- (intransitive) To vibrate abnormally, as a broken wheel.
- (intransitive, rare) To shake the body as if dancing the shimmy.
- (climb a pole) shinny, shin (UK, Canada)