Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
shiv (plural shivs)
- A knife, especially a makeshift one fashioned from something not normally used as a weapon (like a plastic spoon or a toothbrush).
- A particular woody by-product of processing flax or hemp.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) (computing) A shim, i.e. a small library that transparently intercepts and modifies calls to an API, usually for compatibility purposes.
- To stab someone with a shiv.
- (by extension) To stab someone with anything not normally used as a stabbing weapon.