Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -aʊd
shroud (plural shrouds)
- That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a garment.
- Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet.
- That which covers or shelters like a shroud.
- A covered place used as a retreat or shelter, as a cave or den; also, a vault or crypt.
- The branching top of a tree; foliage.
- (nautical) A rope or cable serving to support the mast sideways.
- See also Wikipedia article on Shroud (sailing)
- One of the two annular plates at the periphery of a water wheel, which form the sides of the buckets; a shroud plate.
dress for the dead