- Signifying something; carrying meaning.
- a significant word or sound; a significant look
- Sir Walter Raleigh
- It was well said of Plotinus, that the stars were significant, but not efficient.
- Having a covert or hidden meaning.
- Having a noticeable or major effect; notable.
- That was a significant step in the right direction.
- The First World War was a significant event.
- Reasonably large in number or amount.
- (statistics) Having a low probability of occurring by chance (for example, having high correlation and thus likely to be related).
significant (plural significants)
- That which has significance; a sign; a token; a symbol.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Wordsworth to this entry?)
- In dumb significants proclaim your thoughts.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- present participle of significar