Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 German
- 3 Scots
- 4 West Frisian
- simber (obsolete)
- Rhymes: -ɪmə(r)
- The state or process of simmering.
- The kettle was kept on the simmer.
process of simmering
- (intransitive) To cook or undergo heating slowly at or below the boiling point.
- The soup simmered on the stove.
- (transitive) To cause to cook or to cause to undergo heating slowly at or below the boiling point.
- Simmer the soup for five minutes, then serve.
(intransitive) to cook or undergo heating slowly
(transitive) to cause to cook or undergo heating slowly
This contraction is common throughout central Germany, southern Germany, and Austria. It is only occasionally heard in northern Germany.
simmer (plural simmers)
simmer c (plural simmers)