Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɪk
- Slippery due to a covering of liquid; often used to describe appearances.
- This rain is making the roads slick.
- The top coating of lacquer gives this finish a slick look.
- Appearing expensive or sophisticated.
- They read all kinds of slick magazines.
- Superficially convincing but actually untrustworthy.
- That new sales rep is slick. Be sure to read the fine print before you buy anything.
- Clever, making an apparently hard task easy; often used sarcastically.
- Our new process for extracting needles from haystacks is extremely slick.
- That was a slick move, locking your keys in the car.
- (US, West Coast slang) Extraordinarily great or special.
- That is one slick bicycle: it has all sorts of features!
- sleek; smooth
- Both slick and dainty.
slippery due to a covering of liquid
superficially convincing but actually untrustworthy
clever, making an apparently hard task easy
slick (plural slicks)
- A covering of liquid, particularly oil.
- Careful in turn three — there's an oil slick on the road.
- The oil slick has now spread to cover the entire bay, critically endangering the sea life.
- Someone who is clever and untrustworthy.
- A tool used to make something smooth or even.
- (sports, automotive) A tire with a smooth surface instead of a tread pattern, often used in auto racing.
- You'll go much faster if you put on slicks.
- (US, military slang) A helicopter.
- (printing) A camera-ready image to be used by a printer. The "slick" is photographed to produce a negative image which is then used to burn a positive offset plate or other printing device.
- The project was delayed because the slick had not been delivered to the printer.
- A wide paring chisel used in joinery.
A covering of liquid, particularly oil
A tire with a smooth surface instead of a tread pattern
- To make slick
- The surface had been slicked.
- 2009 January 14, Melissa Clark, “Green, Gold and Pink: Fast, Easy and Delicious”, New York Times:
- So I slicked the broccoli with oil and seasonings and set it to roast.