Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
slugfest (plural slugfests)
- (baseball, slang) A baseball game in which many runs are scored, especially by home runs
- The game turned into a 15-9 slugfest.
- (boxing, slang) A boxing match or fight marked by a heavy exchange of blows
- The championship bout was a slugfest; both fighters were bloodied.
- (sports) A game or match in which heavy hits are exchanged
2012 June 28, Jamie Jackson, “Wimbledon 2012: Lukas Rosol shocked by miracle win over Rafael Nadal”, the Guardian:
- Nadal is supposedly the alpha male in any slugfest. But Rosol's forehand shots were being sent towards the Majorcan at 93mph plus, and his was the fastest serve at 134mph.