Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Present participle of soak.
soaking (plural soakings)
- Immersion in water; a drenching or dunking.
- 1906 "We came on a wild-goose chase", grumbled one, as he stirred the fire. "Got nothing but a soaking for our pains". — Horatio Alger, Joe the Hotel Boy, Chapter 2.
- Extremely wet; saturated.
- 1847 I shuddered as I stood and looked round me: it was an inclement day for outdoor exercise; not positively rainy, but darkened by a drizzling yellow fog; all under foot was still soaking wet with the floods of yesterday. — Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre, Chapter 5.