Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌsɒmˈmɛliə/, /ˌsɔːməlˈjeɪ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌsɔːməlˈjeɪ/
- Rhymes: -eɪ
sommelier (plural sommeliers)
- A wine steward. The person at an expensive restaurant who keeps the wine cellar and advises guests on a choice of wines.
- The sommelier recommended the perfect wine, opened the bottle with panache, and served it into glasses.
- sommelier, wine steward (a person who is in charge of the wine cellar in a restaurant)
- (estate house) the person in charge of bread, linens, crockery, and liquor; the chief of table setting
- (obsolete) the person in charge of the wine convoy, its beasts of burden, and its protection
- "sommelier" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
Declension of sommelier