Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
An expression of military origin, calling to mind a picture of soup being poured over bread.
- (US, idiomatic) Someone or something that is not as it should be; something disorganized or unfinished.
- That's as messed up as a soup sandwich.
- That guy is a big soup sandwich.
- 2005, Jon R. Anderson, "Army wrapping up work on final draft of 1st Infantry Division relocation plan," Stars and Stripes, 27 Jan. (retrieved 8 Sept. 2009):
- “Right now it’s all still very much a soup sandwich,” said the Army official of the ongoing planning efforts, “but we expect to trot the whole thing out in April.”