Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- ill-fated by destiny, the fate of the person being “written in the stars”.
- The star-crossed lovers looked into each other's eyes, before dying.
- 1592, William Shakespeare, “Prologue”, in Romeo and Juliet:
- From forth the fatal loins of these two foes/ A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
- 2009 March 20, Adam Rittenberg, “Spartans overpower Robert Morris”, ESPN:
- After a star-crossed regular season, Morgan vowed Thursday to show the college hoops world what it has been missing.
Usage notes 
Commonly misconstrued as “to be in love”.