Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
striation (plural striations)
- (countable, mineralogy) One of a number of parallel grooves and ridges in a rock or rocky deposit, formed by repeated twinning or cleaving of crystals.
- (countable, geomorphology) One of a number of parallel scratch lines in rock outcrops, formed when glaciers dragged rocks across the landscape.
2012 January 27, John Branch, “Snow Fall : The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek”, New York Time:
- The energy raised the temperature of the snow a couple of degrees, and the friction carved striations high in the icy sides of the canyon walls.
- The action of marking with a stria.
- The result of being marked with a stria.
- (roofing) a parallel series of small grooves, channels, or impressions typically within a metal roof panel used to help reduce the potential for oil-canning.