Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Situated between the earth and the moon; sublunar or cislunar.
- Of this world (as opposed to heaven etc.); earthly, terrestrial.
- All things sublunary are subject to change.
- All sublunary comforts imitate the changeableness, as well as feel the influence, of the planet they are under.
- 1719, Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe:
- and the conversation which employed the hours between Friday and me was such as made the three years which we lived there together perfectly and completely happy, if any such thing as complete happiness can be formed in a sublunary state.
- 1946, Bertrand Russell, History of Western Philosophy, I.19:
- We must infer that God does not know of the existence of our sublunary world.
sublunary (plural sublunaries)