Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -iːn
submarine (not comparable)
- Hidden or undisclosed.
- a submarine patent
submarine (plural submarines)
- A boat that can go underwater.
- A kind of sandwich made in a long loaf of bread.
- (baseball) Pitch delivered with an underhand motion.
- Any submarine plant or animal.
- (informal) A stowaway on a seagoing vessel.
- (boat): U-boat
- (sandwich): grinder, hero, hoagie, hoagy, poor boy, po' boy, sub, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge
- (boat): surface ship
- To operate or serve on a submarine
- To torpedo; to destroy with a sudden sneak attack
2007 April 13, The Associated Press, “Shares Up as Investors Ponder Retail Data”, New York Times:
- “We’re really at the point of chicken, where the Fed is trying to ward off inflation without submarining the economy.”