Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Belonging to substance; actually existing; real; as, substantial life.
- Not seeming or imaginary; not illusive; real; solid; true; veritable.
- "to do some substantial good, is the compensation for much incidental imperfection" - Cardinal Newman, The Rise and Progress of Universities
- Corporeal; material; firm.
- Having good substance; strong; stout; solid; firm; as, substantial cloth; a substantial fence or wall.
- possessed of goods or an estate; moderately wealthy; responsible; as, a substantial freeholder.
- Large in size, quantity, or value; as, a substantial amount of money; vast
- Most important; essential.
- Ample or full.
- A substantial amount of people in this buliding
- Significantly great.
belonging to substance
not seeming or imaginary
having good substance
possessed of goods or an estate
large in size, quantity, or value
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
substantial (plural substantials)
- Anything having substance; an essential part.