Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To go beyond, especially in a metaphoric or technical manner; to exceed.
- The former problem student surpassed his instructor's expectations and scored top marks on his examination.
- The heavy rains threatened to surpass the capabilities of the levee, endangering the town on the other side.
- 1905, Baroness Emmuska Orczy, chapter 2, The Tremarn Case:
- “Two or three months more went by ; the public were eagerly awaiting the arrival of this semi-exotic claimant to an English peerage, and sensations, surpassing those of the Tichbourne case, were looked forward to with palpitating interest. […]”