Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- That which remains when use or need is satisfied, or when a limit is reached; excess; overplus.
- Specifically, an amount in the public treasury at any time greater than is required for the ordinary purposes of the government.
- (law) The remainder of a fund appropriated for a particular purpose.
- (law) assets left after liabilities and debts, including capital stock have been deducted.
funds in public treasury greater than ordinary needs
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
surplus (not comparable)
- Being or constituting a surplus; more than sufficient; as, surplus revenues; surplus population; surplus words.
being a surplus
surplus m (plural surplus)
- "surplus" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
surplus m (invariable)
- surplus (all senses)