Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To drink (usually by gulping or in a greedy or unrefined manner); to quaff.
- That sailor can swig whisky with the best of 'em.
- (obsolete) To suck.
- The lambkins swig the teat.
- (nautical) To take up the last bit of slack in rigging by taking a single turn around a cleat, then hauling on the line above and below the cleat while keeping tension on the line (also: sweating)
to drink (usually by gulping)
to take up the last bit of slack in rigging
- A long draught from a drink.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Marryat to this entry?)
- (nautical) A tackle with ropes which are not parallel.
- Warm beer flavoured with spices, lemon, etc.