swing for the fences
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US, baseball, softball) To swing at the ball as hard as possible, with the aim of getting a home run, increasing the chance of missing the ball.
- Don't swing for the fences unless it's an easy ball, be content with running part way.
- (US, idiomatic) To do something extremely ambitious, especially rashly.
- I'm not going to swing for the fences tomorrow, but I'm hoping my speech will be warmly received.
- Not normally used in a positive sense, but mainly to caution against being overly rash.